Skip to Main Content

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

Admission Requirements for Military Members, Military Family Members and DoD Personnel

We thank you for considering Thomas Edison State University, for your degree completion needs.

You are eligible to become an undergraduate student at Thomas Edison State University if you are:

  • An adult 21 years of age or older (unless you are participating in a special college program; e.g., DoD affiliation)
  • A high school graduate or have successfully passed a General Educational Development (GED) test

Individuals not meeting this criteria, but who feel they warrant special consideration for other reasons, may petition the Director of Admissions and present appropriate documentation to support their being accepted to the University. Students admitted through special consideration are subject to the same academic policies and requirements as those admitted unconditionally.

You do not need to worry about application deadlines. The University offers 12 terms during the year.

Congratulations on the decision to apply!

General Admission Requirements

  1. Complete an online application for admission to the University. Once the application is submitted, you will receive an email confirming receipt. Army, National Guard, and Army Reserve members must complete the Common Application in the GoArmyEd portal instead of the Thomas Edison State University application.
  2. Arrange for all official transcripts (military training, college courses completed, passing scores on CLEP/DSST exams) to be mailed to:

    Office of the Registrar
    Thomas Edison State University
    111 W. State Street
    Trenton, NJ 08606

    Your credentials will be reviewed upon receipt of your application, payment, and academic records.

    After you receive your Academic Program Evaluation, you are urged to contact the Office of Academic Advising at (609) 292-2803 to make a telephone appointment for program planning.
  3. To participate in the Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP), service members must complete at least 24 credits toward a bachelor's degree and at least 12 credits toward an associate's degree at Thomas Edison State University. As a Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP) degree candidate, you are considered enrolled for the purpose of advisement and program planning, in order to register for courses that will complete your degree requirements.)

    Once you receive your Academic Program Evaluation, you are urged to contact the Office of Academic Advising at (609) 292-2803 to make a telephone appointment for program planning.
  4. If you are interested in Tuition Assistance, please consult with your military education center to proceed through the TA process and register for a course. You may fax the approved TA voucher to (609) 984-7143 or scan and send to

Active Status

Military students, military family members, and DoD personnel enrolled in Thomas Edison State University through contractual and military agreements [i.e., GoArmyEd, Military Degree Completion Program (MDCP), Navy College Program], as well as veteran students and veteran family members, must demonstrate academic activity by attempting a minimum of 3 semester hours over the course of the 12-month period for which they are enrolled.

For example, a student whose course or other credit earning option began on Sept. 1, 2020, must register for another 3-credit course before Sept. 1, 2021, to be considered an enrolled Thomas Edison State University student for the following year. Students who do not attempt 3 credits in an academic year will be deemed "Inactive."

An "Inactive" military student may receive the following University services:

  • Register for classes online. Military students will pay the current tuition rate of their respective contract.
  • View grades and current financial aid award status.
  • Submit changes to mailing or email addresses.
  • Receive academic advising for only current or potential Thomas Edison State University degree programs.

Evaluation updates, review of new transcripts, and degree program changes will not be available, while inactive. "Inactive" students (those who were previously enrolled in the University but who have not demonstrated academic progress as described above) can reactivate their enrollment by registering for a minimum of 3 semester hours in a course or other credit-earning option. Students will be governed by the academic policies in place at the time they began their program.

Military students who remain in "Inactive" status for five consecutive years, must reapply for admission to return to the University and will be governed by the academic policies and degree programs in place at the time of their readmission.