Skip to Main Content

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

Earning Credits for Military Training

Thomas Edison State University is a leader in recognizing your military service and awards maximum credit for your training and experience. We are committed to evaluating and granting college credit for your military experience, prior education, certifications, training and other work and life-learning experiences.

How Credit is Earned

  • Service members and veterans of the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Coast Guard receive the Joint Services Transcript (JST) as record of their military training. The JST provides credit recommendations for military training through the American Council on Education (ACE) evaluation process. TESU recognizes the ACE recommendations from the JST and awards transfer credit for military training into college credit that can be used toward your degree requirements.
  • Service members and veterans of the U.S. Air Force receive a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force with community college credits awarded for military training. TESU awards transfer credit from the CCAF transcript as community college credits that can be used toward your degree requirements.

In addition to credit earned from military transcripts, TESU has also conducted several internal Professional Learning Reviews (PLRs) of licenses, certifications and other credentials that you may have earned through military or civilian training.  PLRs we have conducted include FAA training and licenses such as the Control Tower Operator (CTO) and Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (A&P), the Navy Nuclear Power School training, and many others. These PLRs award significant college credit toward degree requirements, on top of the generous credit award you receive from your military transcript. You can learn more about the PLRs conducted by TESU and the credit awarded, as well as how to send in documentation, on the Professional Learning Reviews webpage.

Learn more about documentation needed for earning credit for military training.

Making it Work for You

Prospective military and veteran students are encouraged to visit our Military and Veteran Portal (MVP) to receive a free estimate of transfer credit, prior to applying to TESU.

MVP provides degree and career planning services to help you prepare for your future: whether you are a veteran looking for careers now, or a servicemember planning for promotion or future transition to the civilian workforce.

You can use MVP to decide on a TESU degree by:

Using "My Education Path" to explore programs that:

  • Are aligned with your current military specialty or MOC. More of your college credits for prior learning are likely to apply toward such programs.
  • Are of academic interest to you. For example, if you are interested in Finance, you can look for TESU Finance degrees. Selecting such a degree will prepare you for careers in that subject area.

Or, if you have already decided on a future career, you can Use "My Career Path" to first select your preferred career or occupation and then find matched TESU programs that can help prepare you for that career.

Create a free MVP account today and upload your military transcript to get a complete estimate of college credits for your military experience, explore careers, find TESU degrees that help your career, search jobs...and more!

Please note: the transfer estimate provided by the MVP is an unofficial estimate. Should you decide to apply to TESU, you will be required to submit official transcripts and other required documentation to receive an official academic evaluation. 

Our military and veteran counselors are available to answer any questions you have about earning credit for your military and prior learning experiences. Please contact us with your questions or for assistance in getting started with TESU.