Skip to Main Content

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

Chat with TESU

Individual Learning Account (ILA)

Individual Learning Account is a nondegree service that Thomas Edison State University provides to individuals who wish to document college-level learning gained through military experience, professional licenses, college proficiency examinations, college-level corporate training programs or American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations.

Individual Learning Account services are available to individuals who wish to consolidate college-level work documented elsewhere into an official Thomas Edison State University transcript. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the receiving institution’s academic policy will allow transfer of each credit. Individuals who use Individual Learning Account are not enrolled in a Thomas Edison State University degree program and do not have a TESU GPA. The transfer credit will not display a letter grade or the date that the credit was completed. TESU cannot provide course descriptions for transfer credit awarded. Students should request course description information from the institution where the credit was earned. The Individual Learning Account fee entitles students to transcription services for one year. Individual Learning Account does not apply to foreign credentials or to individuals seeking credit awards for courses taught.

It is important to remember the following:

  1. Complete the Nondegree Services Application. The fee for this service is $419. If you are a Microbachelors EdX student, please refer to Microbachelor webpage for more information. Prospective ILA students must apply first to start the process:
  2. Complete the payment on the application. Fees for Individual Learning Account are nonrefundable.
  3. Submit official college transcripts, military documents, college proficiency examinations, documentation of college-level corporate learning or ACE Registry transcripts. All transcripts submitted for Individual Learning Account must be official transcripts mailed or delivered electronically directly from a college or university registrar’s office to
  • Students may choose to enroll at a later time, but there is no guarantee that all credits will be counted toward a degree program at Thomas Edison State University.
  • This application is not to be used if you are a degree-seeking student at Thomas Edison State University.
  • Credits earned from foreign institutions can NOT be used for Individual Learning Account. Students with foreign credits may apply their credits toward a Thomas Edison State University degree program provided certain requirements are met. For more information call the Office of Admissions at (609) 777-5680.
  • Official documents are necessary to conduct the evaluation of your credits. You should start now to have official transcripts sent to the Office of the Registrar. Student copies of transcripts cannot be accepted. If you have any questions concerning your Application, contact the Office of Admissions at (609) 777-5680 or at

Important information on your application:

  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must provide visa and country of citizenship information.
  • Colleges and Universities: List the complete information on all regionally accredited colleges and universities that you have attended. If you have already completed a degree or degrees, please provide that information.
  • College-Level Examinations: If you have taken a college level examination, list the name of the testing agency under Colleges and Universities. Official transcripts (score reports) must be sent by The College Board (CLEP, DSST or AP examinations) or the official reporting agency.
  • College Credit Recommendation Service: Contact the ACE Registry of Credit Recommendations, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 250, Washington DC 20036-1193, (202) 939-9434 or by email at Request a copy of your registry report (list of completed courses) be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar at Thomas Edison State University.
    • Note: If the ACE Registry does not have your courses on file, you will need to request a registration packet to establish a record with the ACE Registry. For additional information, call the Center for the Assessment of Learning (609) 984-1140 ext. 2297.
  • Credits: All credits earned with must be received on an official transcript. We cannot accept credits listed on an ACE transcript.
  • Licenses and Certificates: If you have earned any U.S. licenses or certificates, they should be listed in this section. Visit the Thomas Edison State University website for information on licenses and certificates evaluated for credit. A notarized copy of the license or certificate and a copy of the current renewal card, if appropriate, must be attached to the form or submitted to the Office of the Registrar from the issuing agency.
  • Military Service and Documents: The University will grant credit for those military service schools which have been evaluated by the Office on Educational Credit and Credentials of the American Council on Education (ACE) as well as select military schools that have undergone institutional reviews in order to award additional credits not recommended by ACE.
    • Members of the Army, Navy and Marines currently on active duty should submit Joint Services Transcript (JST).
    • Air Force members should submit an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to receive credit. For Students in the Air Force: Students who served after 1972 should request an Official Transcript from:
      Community College of the Air Force CCAF/DESS
      100 South Turner Blvd
      Maxwell-Gunter AFB, AL 36114-3011
    • For Students in the Coast Guard: Active duty personnel should fill-out form CG 1651J (Official USCG Transcript Request) and send it to:
      Registrar’s Office
      5900 SW 64th St., Suite 235
      Oklahoma City, OK 73169-6990
      This form may be obtained from the education service officer (ESO) or through the Web at
    • Veterans should submit a notarized or certified copy of their Notice of Separation (DD214). Coast Guard personnel should also check with CGI to determine if they are eligible for the Joint Services Transcript.