At a Glance
Chartered in 1972, Thomas Edison State University is one of New Jersey’s 11 senior public institutions of higher learning and one of the oldest schools in the country designed specifically for adults. The University offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degree programs in more than 100 areas of study as well as undergraduate, graduate and professional certificates. The University is home to The John S. Watson Institute for Public Policy. The New Jersey State Library is an affiliate of the University.
- Thomas Edison State University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3264 Market St., Philadelphia, PA 19104
- The W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing baccalaureate and master’s degree programs and graduate certificate programs are accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326
- The W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing baccalaureate and master’s degree programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036-1120
- The W. Cary Edwards School of Nursing programs are approved by the New Jersey Board of Nursing.
New Jersey Board of Nursing
P.O. Box 45010, Newark, NJ 07101
- The University’s Master of Arts in Educational Leadership degree program is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.
Teacher Education Accreditation Council
One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 320, Washington, DC 20036
- The University’s bachelor’s degree in Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology is accredited by the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET
111 Market Pl., Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202
- The University's associate degree program and undergraduate certificate in Polysomnography are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756
Approximately 17,510 enrolled students.
More than 56,460 cumulative degrees awarded.
The average student age is 35. The student body represents residents from all 50 states and approximately 60 countries throughout the world.
- Examination programs, including Thomas Edison Credit-by-Examination Program (TECEP®) and others, such as the College- Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Professional and military training, including programs evaluated by the American Council for Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service
- Professional licenses, certifications and corporate courses reviewed by the Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning
- Prior learning assessment (PLA) - demonstrating college-level knowledge acquired outside the classroom
Students may transfer credits earned from other regionally accredited colleges and universities:
- Apply up to 80 credits from a two-year institution
- Apply up to 120 credits from a four-year institution
- Online courses - require the completion of assignments, examinations and final projects, and also require participation in online discussions
- Guided Study courses - completed independently using textbooks, DVDs, streaming online video and other course materials
- e-Pack® courses - online self-assessments that help independent learners master course material in preparation for a final examination
The Office of Military and Veteran Education serves active duty, guard, reserve and veterans of the U.S. military. The University's Military Degree Completion Program enables military students to engage in degree programs wherever they are stationed or deployed. The University is also a partnering institution with Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges, GoArmyEd and Navy College Programs. The University enables veterans and their families to maximize their GI education benefits.
The Office of Strategic Partnerships develops corporate partnerships with businesses that maximize tuition assistance programs.