Skip to Main Content

This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

Chat with TESU

Apply as an Undergraduate International Student

These application instructions are for international students (non-U.S. citizens) interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree.

You can apply anytime during the year; the University offers 12 terms.

Below are the steps for a regular application as an international student.

All costs associated with the international credit evaluation are the responsibility of the student. The University reserves the right to make its own determination on the amount and type of credit to be awarded based on the evaluations provide by these agencies. An enrolled student may transfer a maximum of 90 credits from international institutions. Thomas Edison State University does not participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Therefore the University does not sponsor foreign national students for F-1 or J-1 visa status. Course-by-course credit recommendations will be reviewed by Thomas Edison State University based upon existing transfer and degree policies in place at the time of application.

Submit Your Transcripts to:

Office of the Registrar
Thomas Edison State University
111 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608

  1. Explore our undergraduate programs. View our International tuition plan and International Student Admissions Policies.
  2. Complete the application. You may apply here. Be sure to enclose the $50 nonrefundable application fee.
  3. Applicants who are a citizen of a country where English is not the native language must either:
    • Submit official results from either the iBT Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS), either the Academic or General Training exam, to the Registrar. At minimum, TOEFL scores should be 79 on the Internet-based test (iBT). At minimum, the IELTS score should be 6.5. Students are responsible for taking either the TOEFL or IELTS and having the official scores sent to the Office of the Registrar at Thomas Edison State University by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
    • Must provide documentation of 9 semester credit hours (not including ESL or developmental courses) with a C or better at an accredited/approved college or university in a country where English is the medium of instruction by submitting this form.
  4. Submit your transcripts. Send transcripts from all the United States colleges and/or universities you have attended. These transcripts must be sent directly from the institutions to the Office of the Registrar in unopened sealed envelopes with signatures across the seals. TESU will not evaluate transcripts from other countries and there is no need to send them to us. We will accept the credit recommendations from one of the following agencies when the recommendations are based on a course by course evaluation and sent on an official foreign credential evaluation to TESU:
  5. If you have earned any U.S. licenses and certifications, submit them to the Office of the Registrar. We will need a notarized copy of the license or certificate and a current renewal card, if appropriate. View licenses and certifications that have been approved for college credit.
  6. If you have taken courses through industry, government, or special organizations and training programs, submit transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. Official transcripts are available through:
    The American Council on Education
    Registry of Credit Recommendations
    One Dupont Circle, NW
    Suite 250
    Washington, DC 20036-1193
    (202) 939-9434
  7. If you have taken college-level examinations for the purposes of obtaining credit, submit official score reports. These must be sent directly from the University Board (which sponsors CLEP, DANTES and other tests) or other official reporting agency to the Office of the Registrar.
  8. Expect an answer within two weeks. Students who are accepted will receive an evaluation indicating which college credits will transfer. You will be notified by mail. Your application and fee are valid for twelve months from the date of your acceptance letter. If you have not enrolled within this period of eligibility, you must reapply to the University if you intend to pursue your degree in the future.