Call for Proposals
This Year's Theme: Making the Connections: How Higher Ed Can Put it All Together for Adult Learners
The National Institute on the Assessment of Adult Learning, which will be held in Philadelphia, PA, invites proposals for short or full presentations, panel discussions or roundtable discussions that present case studies, research, best practices and lessons learned in the assessment of adult and experiential learning. Our hope is that this year’s National Institute presentations will spur discussion and the exchange of ideas, both during the event and after it.
- How can PLA help adult learners link education with their work?
- How can the process of assessing learning encourage students to reflect on what they know and what they need to know?
- What is the appropriate relationship between higher education, adult learners, and industry and workforce needs? How can we make these relationships work?
- How can we do a better job of articulating the value of higher ed for adult learners?
- What are the most effective methods for advising and coaching adult students?
- Can competency-based education be an effective method to help students make connections?
Other welcome topics include open educational resources, credit-by-examination, online learning and testing, learning outcomes alignment, workforce development, and international perspectives on assessing adult learning. Proposals can be aimed at those who are newcomers to PLA or established practitioners.
Presentations should be designed to stimulate discussion and be interactive, and should not follow a traditional lecture format. Finished presentations will be collected and posted on the National Institute’s website immediately following the conclusion of the event.
Consider also the roundtable/learning exchange format, which is a more informal, intimate conversational format with minimal technological assistance. Ideas in the early stages of development, or practical, how-to topics, are well-suited to this format.
All presenters are required to register for the Institute and pay the registration fee.
To submit a proposal, please send:
- Proposal/presentation title
- 250-Word Abstract
- Proposed session type: panel, roundtable, presentation
On a separate cover sheet, please provide:
- Name of presenter(s)
- Institutional affiliation(s)
- Email address
- Phone number
Please send all proposals to email@example.com.
Registration for the 2018 National Institute coming soon.