Academic Credit FAQs

Thomas Edison State University offers a range of credit-earning opportunities designed specifically for adult learners. From transferring previously earned college credits to offering credit for military training, we’ve created numerous programs that work around the unique needs of adults, enabling you to complete your degree.

Can I transfer my credits to Thomas Edison State University?

Yes. Actually, most of our students transfer their previously earned college credits to Thomas Edison State University to speed the completion of their degrees. Learn more... 


How do I earn credit for knowledge I’ve gained outside the classroom?

Our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) offerings, including portfolio assessment, the TECEP exam program, credit for certain reviewed licenses, training, and certifications, and others give you the opportunity to demonstrate college-level knowledge you’ve acquired outside the classroom and apply that knowledge toward a degree program. Browse our PLA Course Description Database , list of available TECEP® tests and our list of Academic Program Reviews


How many of my credits will you accept from other colleges or universities?

 We accept up to 80 credits earned from regionally accredited community colleges, and up to 117 credits from regionally accredited four-year institutions.


Can I earn credit by “testing out” of a course?

Yes. Our TECEP® program allows you to prepare for an exam that can earn you college credit. Browse list of available TECEP® tests. In addition, numerous other exam programs can earn you credit. More...


Can I earn credit for my professional training, certification or licenses?

Yes.  Thomas Edison State University will award credit for professional training and credentials evaluated and approved for credit by the University through our Office for Assessment of Professional and Workplace Learning. The University may also accept credit recommendations for professional training and credentials from an institutional member of the Consortium for the Assessment of College Equivalency (CACE), the National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) of the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York, and the American Council on Education's College Credit Recommendation Service (CREDIT) program.  For more information, visit our page on Earning Credit for Professional Training.


Can I earn credit for military training?

Yes. For nearly three decades, we’ve been meeting the unique educational needs of military personnel. More about our Military Degree Completion Program...


Can I earn credit for life experience at Thomas Edison State University?

Not exactly. Thomas Edison State University can grant you credit for knowledge you gained through life experience, but not for the experience itself. Students at the University can demonstrate that they possess college-level knowledge acquired outside the classroom through our Prior Learning Assessment programs.


Do I need to take all my courses at Thomas Edison State University?

No. Our flexible credit transfer program enables students to complete courses at other regionally accredited institutions and then transfer those credits into your degree program at Thomas Edison State University.


Does Thomas Edison State University have any articulation agreements with any colleges or universities?

Yes. Thomas Edison State University has entered into articulation agreements with many colleges and universities. An articulation agreement is a formal agreement or partnership between Thomas Edison State University and another institution of higher education. These articulation agreements determine which courses will transfer for degree credit or fulfill Thomas Edison State University course equivalencies.

Details on the terms of any Thomas Edison State University’s current or historical articulation agreements should be referred to the Office of the Registrar. Thomas Edison State University also participates in the New Jersey Statewide Transfer Agreement. This agreement provides a statewide transfer agreement process to determine the transferability of courses to participating New Jersey colleges and universities. Participating institutions are listed at