Please see if the answer to your question is listed below. You can also try searching ALL of the FAQs by clicking the 'Search' button below. If you still can't find the answer you are looking for, 'Ask a question.'

Gi Bill FAQ's


Gi Bill Answers

Q:GI Bill benefits at another school, college or university.

You must fill out a “Request for Change of Place of Training” (VA Form 22-1995) which can be found through the GI Bill website and selecting the “eBenefits” link to access the VONAPP interface.

Top of page

Q:What region is the VA Processing office for Thomas Edison State University?

Buffalo Regional VA Office
PO Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
ATTN: Education Unit

Top of page

Q:When are Certifications Processed?

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill and Chapter 31 VA Voc Rehab certifications are processed prior to the first day of the term for the number of credits only. This allows the VA to process book and housing payments where applicable. An amended certification is processed at the end of the first month to include Tuition & Fees so the University receives payment for the courses per the VA policy.

All other chapters (30, 32, 35, 1606, and 1607) are processed during the first month of the term, which typically starts after the add/drop period.  Students are still required to verify enrollment via the GI Bill WAVE website or by Telephone verification at 877-823-2378.

Top of page

Q:When will I receive payment OR BAH (Chapter 33 only) from the VA?

The VA will send your benefits to you after receipt of your enrollment certification and your eligibility has been established. Tuition and fees for all courses must be paid at the time of registration (Except for Chapter 33). If you are eligible for educational benefits, the Veterans Administration (VA) will mail a check to you after the semester has begun.

Top of page

Q:If I don’t need to complete any course work to graduate can I use Chapter 33 Post 9/11 benefits to pay for enrollment?

No, in order to use Chapter 33 Post 9/11 you must take at least 1 course at a minimum of 1 credit at TESC to have a certification processed.

Top of page

Q:If I want to take courses at another college/university and Thomas Edison State University is my primary school will the VA pay for them?

Yes, if the courses fit into your degree plan and are approved by an Academic Advisor at TESU. We can then provide a Parent Letter to the school where you would like to take the courses. Please find the Parent Letter form in the Required Forms section of Operation Vet Success and complete all sections of the form and email to  coe@tesc.edu.

Top of page

Q:What if I need to Drop or Withdraw from a course?

If you drop or withdraw from courses, you must notify the Veterans Administration (VA) and the Office of Military and Veteran Education at Thomas Edison State University and/or the veterans’ coordinator at the college/university where courses were taken. The law prohibits payment of veterans’ benefits for a course from which a student withdraws.
PLEASE NOTE: For students using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits, withdrawing from a course could cause a recoupment of your housing allowance (BAH)

Top of page

Q:As a Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans Chapter 31 student how do I register for courses?

After the University receives your VA Form 28-1905, Chapter 31 students register by phone (609) 633-9242 or fax (609) 292-1657 only. Online registration is NOT available at this time. Please note that Thomas Edison State University does not provide Book Vouchers to students. You must obtain funds for books via your VA Counselor.

Top of page

Q:How many courses are considered full time, part time etc.?

The VA uses the following formula to calculate the amount of monetary entitlement for courses taken during a standard semester, defined by the VA as 15-18 weeks in length:

3 credits per semester is less than half-time
6 credits per semester is half-time
7 credits per semester is more than half-time
12 credits per semester is full-time

Semesters at Thomas Edison State University run 12 weeks: shorter than that of a traditional school. Therefore, the following formula can be used to determine the entitlement eligibility for courses taken at TESC:

18 x the number of credits taken, divided by the length of the semester, measured in weeks.

You have registered for three, 3-credit courses, for a total of 9 credits online, which run for 12 weeks.

18 X 9 (credits) = 162. Divide 162 by 12 (weeks), equals 13.5 (credit hours).

Using the above example, the VA would consider 9 credit hours at TESC to be equivalent to 13.5 credits, or full-time attendance for that semester.


Top of page

Q:Academic Progress for Veterans at Thomas Edison State University

To be eligible for benefits, the student must maintain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (C) to meet the minimum standard for satisfactory academic performance. In addition, the student must complete 66 percent of all courses attempted. Satisfactory academic progress will be monitored at the end of each academic term. If a student’s cumulative average falls below 2.0 (C) or does not meet the 66 percent criteria, the student will not be maintaining satisfactory academic performance. Students will be notified in writing if they fail to comply with this policy. There is also a maximum number of credit hours for which you can receive VA educational benefits. Sixty credits are required to earn an associate degree. The student may only attempt 90 credit hours toward an associate degree program. For a bachelor’s degree program (120 credit hours required), the maximum attempted credit hours that may be accumulated is 180. All credit hours attempted, are counted toward the maximum amount allowed in the degree program. If you exceed the maximum number of credits attempted in a degree program, you will not be eligible for further benefits. This limit includes credits you have transferred in toward your degree program.

Students not making Satisfactory Academic Progress will be placed on probation for the next semester. Benefits will be processed for that semester to give the student an opportunity to regain satisfactory progress as determined by Thomas Edison State University policy.

Top of page


Students who do not maintain satisfactory academic progress after the probation period will be denied additional benefits. If, because of mitigating circumstances, a student falls below the required standards, he/she may appeal by explaining the circumstance to the Appeals Committee within 30 days of notification concerning their below standard performance. All appeals should be in writing and forwarded to:

Financial Aid and Veteran Affairs Appeals Committee
Thomas Edison State University
111 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176


Top of page

Q:How do I apply for graduation as a veteran?

Students who are registered for, or progressing through, their final nine credits for degree completion may submit the Request for Graduation form. Please note that the graduation fee is only covered under Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill or Chapter 31, Veteran's Vocational Rehabilitation. All students under any other chapter are responsible for ensuring the appropriate fees are paid.

Although the graduation fee is covered for students using Chapter 31 and 33 benefits it is highly recommended that students pay the graduation fee at the time of application to avoid potential delays with processing.  Students will be reimbursed after the University receives the graduation fee money from the VA.

Top of page

Q:How much can I expect to be paid from the VA?

Thomas Edison does not calculate the monthly benefits for our VA students. We recommend contacting the VA directly or visiting this link on the GI Bill website for more information.

Top of page

Q:When will I receive my book stipend if I am a Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill student?

The student is expected to purchase books prior to the term start date. Certifications are processed approximately 1 week prior to the term start; at that time the book stipend will be processed by the VA and the payment will be received by the student approximately 2-3 weeks into the term. The book stipend is capped at $1000.00 per year and the funds are prorated based on the number of credits the student is enrolled in.

Top of page