BSAST Degree FAQ: The Answer to the Second Degree Policy You’ve Always Wanted to Ask

Posted Tuesday, July 29, 2014

By Donald S. Cucuzzella, Assistant Director
School of Applied Science and Technology

I often receive emails from students asking if they can earn a nuclear energy degree and a nuclear energy engineering technology degree under our second-degree policy, particularly if they are enrolled in one of these degree programs already. This is a great question that needs a Thomas Edison State University history lesson to answer, so to help you and all those with a similar burning curiosity, I’m happy to further explain.


I read on the University website that a student can earn a degree in Nuclear Engineering and Nuclear Energy Engineering, after satisfying the Nuclear Engineering degree requirements. My question is, am I eligible to receive the Nuclear Engineering degree if I’m already pursuing the Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology degree?



No. If you are currently in the Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology degree program, there is no second degree program to earn the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree. If you want to further your career in this field, you can always pursue your education and enroll in the University’s Master of Science in Applied Science and Technology in Nuclear Energy Technology Management.

Since the 1980s, the University has offered a Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology (BSAST) in Nuclear Engineering Technology (NET). This degree was popular amongst our military students who had gone through the U.S. Navy’s Nuclear Power School and received college credit toward this degree for their training. In 2011, the University’s School of Applied Science and Technology created a new version of this degree, a Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology (NEET). In 2012, we received accreditation for the new degree from the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of ABET. This accreditation status was made retroactive as of October 2010, so any students who started the Nuclear Energy Engineering degree by that date, and then graduated, had an ABET accredited degree.

But what about the graduates from the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree who now want an ABET accredited degree? Glad you asked!

For these students, the University created the Second Degree Program in Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology. To complete this program, students are required to take a minimum of 24 new credits at the University. If you are a student currently enrolled in the Nuclear Engineering Technology degree and think that an ABET accredited degree is more beneficial for your career, you can change to the Nuclear Energy Engineering Technology degree. By switching now, you can save yourself the time and money required to complete 24 new credits, and possibly even more credits should there be any curriculum changes since you first enrolled at the University.

As always, I’m happy to help answer any additional questions about degree programs at the School of Applied Science and Technology. You can email me directly at, and you might even see your question become the new topic on our blog!


Tags: Majors and Degree Programs , Science and Technology


No comments yet. Be the first!

Post a Comment