Getting Started with Open Courses
If you are interested in the Open Course Option, these steps will help you get started.
- Step 1: Apply and Enroll
If you are new to Thomas Edison State University and not yet an enrolled student, your first step is to apply to Thomas Edison State University and become an enrolled student. This allows the University to track your progress, determine how your transfer credits and previous training can apply to your degree, provide academic advising and enable you to earn a degree. You will receive directions on how to enroll after you apply and are accepted to the University. If you are already an enrolled student at Thomas Edison State University, you are ready for Step 2.
Learn more about the open courses provided by the Saylor Foundation aligned with this ASBA option.
- Step 2: Complete Requirements for English 101 and 102
- Once you have selected a tuition plan and become an enrolled student, your next step is passing the TECEP® exams for English 101 (ENC-101) and English 102 (ENC-102). You can prepare for these exams using Saylor courses or, if you feel you are ready to take the exams without additional preparation, you may take them directly. Please note that all credit-by-exams, including TECEP®, are pass/fail. If you are able to satisfy requirements for English 101 and 102 via transfer credit, you are ready for Step 3.
- Step 3: Register for the required online courses
- The only Thomas Edison State University courses students must complete in the Open Course option are their Oral Communication, Civic Engagement, and Information Literacy General Education requirements. You also have the option to take Introduction to Prior Learning Assessment (PLA-100), and Introduction to Portfolio Assessment (PLA-200). These courses review the concept and methods of prior learning assessment and will show you how to document and articulate your prior learning through the creation of portfolio assessments. These courses will count towards your elective credit requirement.
- Step 4: Complete Remaining Assessments for ASBA Open Course Option
- Once you have completed the online courses, you should have an idea of what credits remain for you to earn via the Open Course option. Your next step is to work through the corresponding Saylor Academy course, and then use the applicable method of prior learning assessment listed here.
These four steps are intended to give students, especially those not familiar with Thomas Edison State University, an idea on how to get started earning credit through the Open Course option. For more information, contact our Learner Support Center at email@example.com or (888) 442-8372, weekdays from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. (ET).