|Term||Application Deadline||Term Start Date|
|Sept. 2016||Aug. 13, 2016||Aug. 29, 2016|
|Jan. 2017||Nov. 28, 2016||Jan. 3, 2017|
|May 2017||April 10, 2017||May 1, 2017|
The admissions requirements below are for the all graduate degree programs offered by the School of Business and Management, including the:
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Hospitality Management
- Master of Science in Human Resources Management
- Master of Science in International Business Finance
- Master of Science in Management
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resources Management
- Graduate Certificate in Organizational Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Project Management
Admission to online graduate business degree programs at Thomas Edison State University is competitive. Applicants must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university, and must be ready to participate in an online environment. Admission is based on:
- A qualitative evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate educational work from a regionally accredited college or university. An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 is recommended to be successful in the program.
- Relevance of work experience and career objectives to the program objectives.
- Two years of professional, managerial or related experience is required for all graduate degree programs. View work experience requirements.
- Candidates for Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Science in International Business Finance (MSIBF) must complete undergraduate prerequisite courses. View prerequisite requirements.
There are three application periods each year for Graduate programs (in January, May and September). Applicants to graduate degree programs must provide official transcripts and a current resume. Applications will be reviewed to select students who best demonstrate the following criteria:
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university. View transcript requirements.
- Applicants to degree programs must provide a current resume with their completed application.
- All appropriate essay questions must be completed and submitted with a completed application; all essays are evaluated critically and used to assess a student's ability to succeed in and benefit from the graduate program. View essay questions and requirements.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) www.ets.org/toefl is required of all applicants whose primary language is not English. A score of 550 on the written; 213 on the computer version; or 79 on the Internet version is required.
A qualitative evaluation of the applicant's undergraduate and graduate educational work from regionally accredited colleges and universities is part of the admissions committee review process. An undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 is recommended to be successful in the program.
Sending Transcripts and Other Documents:
Official transcripts and documentation of all an applicant’s past college credits, professional and/or military training and other experiences, should be sent to:
ATTN: Graduate Studies
Office of Admissions
Thomas Edison State University
111 W. State St.
Trenton, NJ 08608-1176
- All applicants must have a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate-level educational work is required from all previously attended institutions
Regarding transcripts, please note:
- Transcripts should be sent directly to Thomas Edison State University from the institution(s) an applicant has attended.
- Transcripts sent to Thomas Edison State University that have been sent first to an applicant from the institution(s) they attended must arrive at Thomas Edison State University in the unopened, sealed envelope from the institution (or institutions) they attended. Applicants may not open their transcripts; Transcripts that arrive at Thomas Edison State University in opened envelopes are not valid and must be resubmitted.
Applicants with undergraduate degrees from international, non-regionally accredited institutions must submit a course-by-course evaluation from an agency approved by Thomas Edison State University. TESU will not evaluate transcripts from other countries and there is no need to send them to us. The University will accept credit recommendations from a required course-by-course evaluation completed by any of the following agencies:
Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute, Inc.(ACEI)
Center for Applied Research, Evaluations & Education, Inc.
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
World Educational Services, Inc. (WES)
SDR Educational Consultants
SpanTran Evaluation Services
All costs associated with the international credit evaluation are the responsibility of the student. The University reserves the right to make its own determination on the amount and type of credit to be awarded based on the evaluations provide by these agencies. An enrolled student may transfer a maximum of 90 credits from international institutions. Thomas Edison State University does not participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Therefore the University does not sponsor foreign national students for F-1 or J-1 visa status. Course-by-course credit recommendations will be reviewed by Thomas Edison State University based upon existing transfer and degree policies in place at the time of application.
A minimum of two years of professional, managerial or related experience is required, which includes a solid understanding of business activities such as marketing, financial reporting, management and operations. Alternatively, students may be admitted to the program without such depth of knowledge if they have some work experience as well as an undergraduate business degree. Please submit a current resume/CV at point of application.
All program applicants are requested to submit a graduate application essay for review by School of Business and Management Admissions Committee. The committee will assess applicants' background and writing skills. (submitted at point of application.)
Select one essay question: (Responses are limited to a maximum of 500 words)
- At Thomas Edison State University, we believe each individual has his or her own leadership style. How has your family, culture, and/or environment influenced you as a leader?
- How will your background, values, and non-work activities enhance the experience of other graduate students at the University and add value to the University's diverse culture?
- What personal qualities or life experiences distinguish you from other applicants? How do these qualities or experiences equip you to contribute to the University?
Please prepare a letter of application for the job for which the position description is found below. Please discuss your educational and professional background and construct the argument that you are fully qualified and capable for performing the responsibilities of the position. Also include a discussion of how your educational program at the SoBM at TESU will enhance your ongoing value to the organization to which you are applying.
The XYZ Corporation has an immediate opening for a full time business professional who can employ critical thinking skills to solve complex business problems. The successful applicant should be able to demonstrate written and oral communication skills to deliver presentations, brief internal and external clients, develop data driven strategic management and operational plans, and apply technological methodologies to drive business growth and sustainability in a global marketplace. The successful applicant should also be able to demonstrate the ability to work in a fast paced business environment, be able to successfully manage relationships and demonstrate the ability to provide leadership for achieving the mission and profit outcomes in a business organization.
- The document may be viewed electronically; we cannot support embedded videos, music, or motion images. Additionally, hyperlinks will not be viewed.
- Essays will be evaluated on the quality of content and ability to convey your ideas, not on technical expertise or presentation.
- Essays must be typed in a double spaced format and include the applicant's name on each page.
- Essays are limited to a maximum of 500 words.
Candidates for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) and Master of Science in International Business Finance (MSIBF) are required to have completed undergraduate courses in the following topics:
- Financial Accounting
- Finance (MSIBF only)
Candidates may apply to the program prior to completing these courses and receive conditional acceptance but will not be able to enroll in MBA or MSIBF courses until the prerequisite requirements are satisfied. The prerequisites can be completed via the University's Graduate Business Preparatory Program.
The prerequisites can also be completed at regionally accredited institutions, including Thomas Edison State University, as long as they were completed within the last seven years and the candidate earned a grade of B or better. The prerequisites can also be completed via credit-by-exam programs, such as a College-Level Exam Program (CLEP®) or Thomas Edison State University Examination Program (TECEP®). Students satisfying the Microeconomics requirement via CLEP® must earn a score of at least 64. Students satisfying the Financial Accounting via CLEP® must earn a score of 50. TECEP® exams are pass/fail.
Candidates who have earned a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license will be exempt from the Financial Accounting requirement. Candidates who have passed levels I and II Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exams will be exempt from the Financial Accounting and the Finance prerequisite requirements.
Meet the Dean
“Our MBA is an accelerated, highly flexible and career-focused degree program that is offered completely online and provides graduates with competencies that are in demand by the fastest growing professions and industries.”